21 Mar 2022/01:10:48
Oxide and Friends Twitter Space: March 21st, 2022
We’ve been holding a Twitter Space weekly on Mondays at 5p for about an hour. Even though it’s not (yet?) a feature of Twitter Spaces, we have been recording them all; here is the recording for our Twitter Space for March 21st, 2022.
In addition to Bryan Cantrill and Adam Leventhal, speakers on March 21st included Antranig Vartanian, Dan Cross, Ian, jasonbking, Jason Ozolins, Ken and Drew Vogel. (Did we miss your name and/or get it wrong? Drop a PR!)
Some of the topics we hit on, in the order that we hit them:
- [@9:23](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=563) I was learning from people who were further down the track than I was
- Startups can have problems when founders fail to learn from the experiences of others
- [@12:43](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=763) Dan: hubris of youth is an age old problem, see middle ages nobility
- For some “child wonders”, their childhood is effectively sacrificed because their adulthood arrives too early
- [@16:22](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=982) When I went to school, there was a math prodigy..
- Challenging operating system course
- [@25:44](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=1544) Ian: for early accelerated learners, the work is easy until it isn’t. They didn’t need to spend long hours studying, so they didn’t practice it. > You have to take that youthful ego, and gently massacre it. Then build them up
- The Dropout series, premiered March 2022
- [@31:26](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=1886) Jason O: praising ability vs effort, negative effects
- [@34:55](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=2095) 30 under 30, and such things
- Empathy, learning to compromise, learning from being a parent
- [@41:04](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=2464) How venture views human capital
- Student loans, (some predatory lenders)
- Does making a young person comfy lead to their best work?
- Taking a share of future earnings, kinda demotivating. Misaligned incentives
- Lambda school, coding bootcamps. Fixed costs and incoming sharing
- [@50:17](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=3017) Sourcing these kids?
- “You’re a baseball card for someone” story, why are these kids at this party??
- [@57:40](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=3460) Sometimes kids who are extremely comfortable aren’t terribly motivated to put in the hours
- [@59:25](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=3565) Drew: Income sharing and other schemes to pay for education
- Ken: doesn’t feel like kids would be set up for success
- [@1:04:07](https://youtu.be/WrEef_bsWas?t=3847) Background beef leading to this hairy scheme
- Some entrepreneurs have trouble seeing the role of luck in their success
- Thiel Fellowship wiki
If we got something wrong or missed something, please file a PR! Our next Twitter space will likely be on Monday at 5p Pacific Time; stay tuned to our Twitter feeds for details. We’d love to have you join us, as we always love to hear from new speakers!