Oxide is seeking hardware engineers to join us in building the next generation of rack-scale, fully-integrated machines.
As a hardware engineer working at Oxide, you will:
- Be involved in all aspects of server and/or switch design, including mechanical, thermal, signal integrity, electrical
- Work with software engineers to co-design a system, finding ways to solve problems by making software and hardware cooperate rather than operate at cross-purposes
- Lead a joint design manufacturer to assist in the design and manufacturing of our first product
These responsibilities are just a starting place! We’re a small company, we don’t have rigid roles, and we have a lot to do – we can help you grow wherever your interests take you.
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Get excited by the prospect of hardware/software co-design – and especially at innovating at their interface.
- Have domain expertise (electrical, mechanical, etc.) but enjoy cross-disciplinary work with a broad team.
- Believe in fully documenting your ideas.
- Enjoy reading the documentation produced by others.
- Like working from first principles, wanting to really understand reference designs rather than blindly copy them.
- Get excited about a wide range of technical topics and dig really deep into them.
- Are very comfortable at a Unix terminal (but also know when to spin up a Windows VM to run necessary EDA tools!).
- Don’t mind coworkers getting really excited about decades-old computer front panels.
Life at Oxide
We are very explicit about our values, and they can be seen in daily life at Oxide, for example:
- Our rigor means we enjoy and take pride in the craft of engineering.
- Our urgency means that we are not above the judicious short-cut.
- Our versatility is reflected in our greatest strength: the breadth of our team.
- Our transparency can be seen in our consensus-driven RFD process.
- Our responsibility means that we both lead and follow: we have our own domains, but we also help others on their parts.
- Our curiosity shows in our insatiable desire to learn – and our empathy in our love of teaching others.
- Our humor is a big part of our daily lives: we are inveterate wise-crackers whose video meetings spill into simultaneous text chat.
Our values also manifest themselves in our benefits:
- Everyone makes $180,250, regardless of location.
- We offer the best health insurance we could find: medical PPO plan, dental, and vision that are 100% covered for both employees and dependents.
- We are very supportive of remote work. About half of our team is outside of the San Francisco Bay Area; our only requirement is working hours with a significant overlap with Pacific Time.
- Our families and lives outside of our jobs are very important to us; our schedules are flexible to reflect and support that.